Friday, November 04, 2005

I Can't Breath...

(Google Images)

There are some days here when I feel like I can’t breath. I wake up in the morning and I want to take a deep breath and welcome life in, but then I remind myself that I’m in San Salvador. Instead, I stretch, take medium breath, just enough to let myself know that I’m alive, and I continue on with my new day.

When I first got here, I kept waking up with a sore throat. I would tell people this, and they would say that I’m getting a little gripe, and would go on to tell me that it’s because of the lluvia. But as the day went on, this would clear up, and that was that. But I came to figure out that I did not have a gripe and the lluvia had little to do with my sore throat. In fact, my body was adjusting to the pollution of living in the city.

Now one would think I would be use to this by now after living in Detroit for the past year (and I use to live near River Rouge), but in fact, I find the conditions worse here.

There are some days that I sit on the bus, and cars pass by with the trail of black diesel smoke behind. And then there are the busses, with no sort regulations on the amount of pollution they create. I stand on the side of the road, waiting for whatever it is I am looking for, and I dream of wearing an oxygen mask. And then there are the days that I just dream of being in the campo.
The air is cleaner in the campo. You can smell wildlife and stoves burning (also not very good for the lungs..but they smell better than exhaust). Campo life is also a lot more tranquilo...and maybe that’s what I’m looking for.

I didn’t take any deep breaths today...I’m actually holding my breath for the day that I can. I think this country girl is just adjusting to city life....

1 comment:

suzannah said...

Hello Meg-
I found your blog while looking for information on contemporary El Salvador. It has inspired me. I hope to be volunteer in El Salvador with a group of students from the university of Kansas. I'll keep checking for great additions.
Suzannah